Tuesday, November 17, 2009

I agree with Dlo... I can't believe that we are already in the middle of November. I have been swept away with one thing after another. I am having a great year in the classroom, however, I just don't know where the time goes. I have been trying to find time to implement new technology into my classroom, but have been having difficulty for a couple of reasons. For one, I get a little nervous trying new things. I know that giving our students a chance to work with technology is extremely important, but at the same time there is a lot of material that I am expected to cover in the curriculum and sometimes it seems like when using technology there is more set up and take down time. Also while using technology it takes my students a longer time to complete a task. For example, I was using glogster with my students, and I wanted them to create an online poster to show how to solve algebraic equations. They had to create a story problem to represent the equation then solve it both algrebraically as well as model the equation using pictures. This is a task that my students can all do with a paper and pencil without a problem, however, when we used glogster there were additional issues that arised (eg: computer issues, problems signing in, finding pictures to match their story, etc.) and in turn quite a few of my students were unable to finish. I know that as we, myself and my students become more comfortable with the technology some of these issues will go away but I guess it all comes back to me being willing to continue to take the risk of trying new things.

No comments: