Friday, April 24, 2009

More on Livescribe

Ok so I went out and bought one for myself. The pen is actually called a Pulse Smartpen. It comes in two sizes (memory). 1GB cost $149.00 and the 2GB cost $199.00at Target. The software that is used with it is called Livescribe.

My goal was to be able to solve math problems as I would at a whiteboard or Smartboard in front of class but have the ability to save my work go and back to it with a narration of what I am thinking at each particular step. I found the Smartboard record tool not up to the task. For some reason the audio could never be captured completely and the Smartboard lacked the precision I needed for some tasks. It seemed to always need to be realigned.

I hope to build a bank of worked out problems that students can access from any internet source at any time. I also want to train students to use the tool and have them contribute to the problem bank on a regular basis. So far the pen seems to be just what I was looking for.

Here is my second try at uploading a link to my "pencast". This time with audio attached. Please click on the link below to see it and let me know what you think.

TDeaguero

4 comments:

Karen said...

Great explanation on how to find an equation for a line tangent. This would've been SO helpful when I was studying for an upcoming calculus test in high school. It makes much more sense hearing and seeing your explanation rather than rereading a textbook example.

Elizabeth Hopkins said...

Tom, really fascinating stuff. Thanks for sharing!

doug.abshire said...

ok, so now i have to get one of these...thanks tom...i guess...

(seriously, this is cool!, wish the district would supply these but i am such a nerd that i will get one instead of waiting...)

Joseph Miller said...

Tom,

Great stuff. I didn't know we could embed these in a blog. Now that is cool!

Joe