Thursday, October 29, 2009

Smart resources and advice

I found a resource website for Smartboard lessons at "Tequipment's Educator Resource Center". A user has to create an account, but it's free and I like what I see so far. Lessons are broken down by subject as well as Elementary, Middle, and High. Not only do I find some great basics to build on for lessons, I'm getting some great ideas when I build my own.

Here's the link: http://community.teqsmart.org/download.php

I still use my Smartboard regularly, but struggle at times maintaining engagement in whole group situations. We often do "talk with your partner/group" about the answer/concept and then I draw stick names to complete it on the smartboard. However, this seems to be where I start to lose some students as some students still struggle at times with writing/drawing on the board - either with pen or finger. Some even still struggle dragging objects with their finger. I feel my lessons begin to drag! I try to help either by laptop or at the Smartboard with them, but am left wondering what else I can do. I would LOVE suggestions!

2 comments:

Dave Tarwater said...

Jennifer,

Have you tried having your students use the hand wand or even a small ball when they are engaging with the SmartBoard? They will need practice in using one of these or their finger or pen. I would like to come visit your class during a SB activity.

Unknown said...

Hi Dave, I have not tried a ball. That sounds like a great idea and I will try it! Students do use either thier finger or the pen, and most of them are successful. However, some students continue to struggle, and they all want to participate. I would greatly welcome a visit during a lesson!