Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Wireless World - It's Where We're Headed

The Global Learners project discusses many ideas for changing the world in which we live. Naturally, our discussions center mostly around classroom techniques for delivering 21st Century skills through the use of integrated technology.
As PIO for Adams 14, one of my job responsibilities is to track trends in education news in local and national media. Today, while surfing through the various online news feeds I receive (view my shared page here), I came across a story on NPR about wireless electricity research at MIT. Apparently, scientists at MIT have successfully transmitted electricity with no wires. This is an enormous development. Think of the implications not only for the classroom but for the entire world. Electric cars and mobile devices that charge while in use without wires - HOLY COW!
I'm ready and excited for the future that awaits my children and all the children that pass through our schools. Get ready everyone, it's already here.

5 comments:

Joseph Miller said...

Amazing story! I wonder where it will all end up. I am super impressed with your news feed. I have already added it to my reader for constant updates.

Emily Taylor said...

What will they come up with next?! A part of me thinks this is really amazing and could be really useful, and another part of me is skeptical and wondering if there could be any harmful effects on human health or the environment. I guess the best thing to do is keep an open mind and see what happens! What do you think?

Kelly Berry said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kelly Berry said...

That is a great story! I agree with Emily however on the possible effects this new wireless electricity may have on the environment and health. On the upside, what convenience for the days when our essentials are not fully charged!

acsd14PIO said...

To respond to the questions about environmental hazards of the MIT wireless electricity project - my research leads me to this great article about the physics behind the project: http://www.physorg.com/news100445957.html
Check it out for more info on the low resonance magnetism employed in the process.