Friday, December 4, 2009

Collaboration

I am in the process of collaborating with the Algebra teacher at Hanson through my mentor. After wondering for a while how to successfully implement a blog in my mathematics classrooom I decided that it would be beneficial to allow students to create their own word problems for solving systems of equations. My belief is that if the students are able to create a problem then it demonstrates their knowledge of the topic. Also, my students appear to be excited to be able to solve each others problems and it is a lot better than me just giving them work to do. This blog has really allowed my students to take ownership over their education and I think that this is a really powerful tool.

I know that I still have a lot to learn about how to best implement these new technological resources into my classroom, but I am glad that I am taking the chance to try them out in my class and I know that the more often I use them the easier it will become. As with anything new that you attempt there will always be some bumps in the road, but so far we have worked through them and in all honesty the students are pretty good at figuring things out as well.

As this collaborative process continues I expect it to benefit all of the students. It is really amazing how technology can bring classrooms together even though they are in seperate schools. I am extremely grateful for the knowledge that I have gained through our training that we had way back in the beginning of the year as well as by reading about what other teachers are doing in their classrooms through our Global Learner blog.

The web address of our classroom blog is http://mrcioleksblog.blogspot.com Please stop by and let me know what you think is done well, what I can do better, or just to check out what my Algebra students are working on.

Thanks!

1 comment:

Dave Tarwater said...

Way to go Tom, I am looking forward to browsing over to your math blog. How are you getting computer access to your students so they can post and comment?