Monday, March 1, 2010

21st Century Collaboration


Tempest fugit! Doesn't it? So many things to blog about -so little time. My students are enjoying the technology and I'm very proud of them. For a recent project I asked students to identify shapes found all around us for our geometry unit. This is a foray into project-based learning that I am trying to implement more. Students had to identify five plane shapes that occur around us or in nature. Students got to choose whether to explore the building with a digital camera, create a drawing of a house incorporating shapes, or find images under Creative Commons from flickr that had shapes in them. We will be posting that later this week.
I am having a great time working with the fantastic second grade team here at Kemp. (Yeah, Lisa and Shane!) They embody the idea of 21st century collaboration. (ISTE NETS 3.b:collaborate with students, peers, parents, and community members using digital tools and resources to support student success and innovation). We share files related to lesson planning, delivery, and assessment in electronic formats on a wiki and through Google Docs. It has made life so much easier. Now that Google Docs supports any file format, we can share Smartboard files easier too.
Here is a funny avatar I made for myself.

2 comments:

Dave Tarwater said...

Tempest Fugit brings back fond memories. My 2nd grade teacher, Mrs. Hobson, introduced me to that term. In spite of her great explanation it stuck in my mind for years as "Time Fleas" as on a dog. Lots going on in your classroom, can't wait to see the plane shape activities. Say did I miss your funny avatar or what?

Kelly Berry said...

I didn't know Google Docs allows SB uploads! That will definitely change a lot of collaboration for the better!

Do you have rubrics you use for the student collaboration? I'm always looking to refine ours!