Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Alright, I'm here...

I have to admit that technology and I do not get along as well as I had hoped. We argue and fight, it's not pretty. With all the blogs, wikis, rss, and other new terms, I'm reluctant. However, with this Global Learners class and the fact that I teach 21st century students, I am starting to come around. I would like to create a website for my class for all of my students to access. They would be able to email me if they had any questions, pick up any missed assignments, get links to helpful websites, and they could blog with me and the other students . I have never done anything like this, so I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on this idea. I was wondering what worked, what didn't, and if the students responded well.

3 comments:

Dave Tarwater said...

Jennifer, you definitely are getting the lingo. I hope you find tomorrow's activities helpful for setting up a website for your classes. I know we will all kick around some ideas for engaging our students.

Joseph Miller said...

Welcome aboard, we are all learning together and I am sure your colleagues are going to have many great ideas.

On Day #3 (tomorrow) we are going to spend some time with creating a website and also with collaboration tools from Google. I hope that you find that the tools are user-friendly and will enhance your professional practice and student learning.

Do students email you now? Do they stop by after school to pickup assignments?

Mr. Tomas said...

I tried fooling around some more with those web pages, it seems the hardest thing to do is the formating part. I cant seem to get certain spaces to dissapear or when I create a link I cant control the font or color of the letters. when I add a picture it screws the entire page up. Dave or Joe do you know how to fix that? The rest seems easy, in that template folder there are some good ones for classes under the higher education. they also include templates for the additional pages on your site. The content part seems the easiest.